A bulging or falling out of a body part, such as the rectum or vagina.

When to seek immediate medical care

See a doctor immediately if:

  • New-onset severe pain

When to make a doctor's appointment

Make an appointment to see a doctor if:

  • Persistent constipation, despite treatment
  • Discomfort from bulge of tissue
  • Rectal pressure or fullness after bowel movement
  • Painful intercourse

© 1998-2023 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. | Terms of Use