An absence of enough oxygen in the blood to sustain bodily functions.
Don't smoke, and avoid secondhand smoke.
When to seek immediate medical care
See a doctor immediately if:
- Sudden and severe shortness of breath
- Rapid heartbeat
- Persistent cough and fluid retention
When to make a doctor's appointment
Make an appointment to see a doctor if:
- Shortness of breath at rest or after slight activity
- Shortness of breath that doesn't get better quickly after activity
- Shortness of breath or a sense of choking when waking up