St. Clair Hospital Once Again Named Among 100 Top Hospitals
St. Clair Hospital Is Awarded
100 Top Hospitals® Designation For 2018
Third Time Since 2012
IBM Watson Health named St. Clair Hospital one of the nation’s 100 Top Hospitals® for 2018. This marks the third time since 2012 that St. Clair has won this prestigious honor.
The annual study by IBM Watson Health uses objective data, peer-reviewed methodology, and key performance metrics, such as those pertaining to patient safety, clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, and operational efficiency to arrive at an independent analysis of the highest performing hospitals in the country. Celebrating its 25th year, the award, which was given by Truven Health Analytics prior to its acquisition by IBM Watson Health, recognizes the “best value” in American health care. Hospitals do not apply or pay for this honor, and all acute care hospitals in the United States are evaluated for potential inclusion.
Other well-known hospitals included in this year’s list are: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles; NorthShore University Health System, Evanston; Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago; Ochsner Medical Center, New Orleans; and Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey.
“The country’s best hospitals have proven that an unrelenting focus on quality, supported by constant measurement against peer performance benchmarks, can drive improved outcomes while reducing costs and growing profit margins,” said Jean Chenoweth, Senior Vice President, 100 Top Hospitals Programs, IBM Watson Health. “Congratulations to this 25th anniversary class of 100 Top Hospitals who have helped raise the bar for health care in the U.S. and improve the health care experiences of the people in their communities.”
“St. Clair Hospital is honored to again be included in this prestigious group of hospitals,” said John T. Sullivan, M.D., Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, St. Clair Hospital. “It’s a testament to the commitment to overall excellence shared by our board, medical staff, employees, and volunteers.”
IBM Watson Health noted that if all Medicare patients received the same level of care as those treated at the 100 Top Hospitals®:
- More than 102,000 lives could be saved;
- More than 43,000 additional patients could be complication-free;
- More than $4.4 billion in inpatient costs could be saved; and
- Approximately 200,000 fewer discharged patients would be readmitted within 30 days.
Today’s announcement continues a period in which St. Clair Hospital has garnered multiple national recognitions, including:
- Awarded an “A” Grade for Hospital Safety by the Leapfrog Group for 5+ consecutive years, thereby placing St. Clair in the top 3 percent of hospitals nationwide;
- Rated Best for Medical, Surgical and Overall Hospital Care in western Pennsylvania by Quantros CareChex;
- Recognized as a national leader in patient satisfaction by multiple independent third-party evaluators;
- Winner of the HIMSS Davies Award, the nation’s highest honor for the use of information technology to improve patient outcomes and value;
- Winner of the Innovator Award from the American Hospital Association for St. Clair’s co-development of Patient Estimates, the nation’s first interactive cost transparency tool; and
- Selected for inclusion in the prestigious Mayo Clinic Care Network, exclusive in western Pennsylvania.