Each Year More Than 60,000 Patients Trust Us For BettER Care. Consistently ranked among the nation's best for patient satisfaction, St. Clair's ER treats more than 60,000 patients a year. The physicians, nurses and clinical staff deliver high-quality, compassionate, timely care – the hallmarks of a world-class acute care hospital.
The Hospital is home to a 30,000-square-foot ER featuring state-of-the-art monitoring and imaging equipment and:
- 46 patient treatment rooms (each with cardiac monitoring capabilities);
31 acute adult treatment rooms;
24-Hour Pediatrician Coverage
A board-certified pediatrician is on-site at St. Clair Hospital 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week.
- Three psychiatry and mental health treatment rooms;
- Board-certified physicians, physician assistants and certified registered nurse practitioners;
- 24/7 in-hospital pediatricians; all staff members are trained in Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- A nursing staff specially trained in Emergency Medicine;
- Low nurse-to-patient ratios;
- A seamless transition from “ER to room” for patients who are admitted for further treatment and;
- The capability to accommodate up to 80,000 patient visits per year.
About the Space
The ER is divided into pods or zones, allowing staff to focus their time and attention on patients in their respective areas. Each pod is anchored by a nurse’s station. Upon entering the ER, all patients are greeted by an intake nurse who registers and assesses patients’ conditions before assigning them to the correct pods for treatment.
Children in need of emergency services have their own separate waiting area. To ease their stress and anxiety, the ER features Austin’s Playroom, a brightly colored, yet relaxing environment filled with puzzles, games, videos and child-sized furniture. The playroom was donated by the Mario Lemieux Foundation and is named after the NHL Hall-of-Famer’s son, Austin.
Our ER uses special equipment for pediatric patients. We also have all proper medications for children.
All of our ER physicians are residency trained and board certified in emergency medicine, including pediatric emergency medicine.
Advanced Emergency Care
The ER’s longstanding prowess in patient care is evidenced by its leadership positions in innovative health care initiatives,
including cardiovascular services.
The ER and the Hospital’s Cardiac Catherization Lab have been recognized for their life-saving treatment times for heart attack
patients who are in need of a balloon angioplasty to open a clogged artery. St. Clair consistently achieves the best treatment
times for heart attack victims arriving at our ER, leading all Allegheny County hospitals and some of the most recognized
hospitals in the United States.
For more information on Emergency Services, please call 412.942.2701.