Each Year More Than 60,000 Patients Trust Us For BettER Care. Consistently ranked among the nation's best for patient satisfaction, St. Clair's ER treats more than 60,000 patients a year. The physicians, nurses and clinical staff deliver high-quality, compassionate, timely care – the hallmarks of a world-class acute care hospital.
The Hospital is home to a 30,000-square-foot ER featuring state-of-the-art monitoring and imaging equipment and:
- 46 patient treatment rooms (each with cardiac monitoring capabilities);
- 31 acute adult treatment rooms;
- 3 psychiatry and mental health treatment rooms;
- All of our ER physicians are residency trained and board certified in emergency medicine, including pediatric emergency medicine;
- 24/7 in-hospital pediatricians; staff members are trained in Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- A nursing staff specially trained in Emergency Medicine;
- Low nurse-to-patient ratios;
- A seamless transition from “ER to room” for patients who are admitted for further treatment and;
- The capability to accommodate up to 80,000 patient visits per year.
About the Space
The ER is divided into pods or zones, allowing staff to focus their time and attention on patients in their respective areas. Each pod is anchored by a nurse’s station. Upon entering the ER, all patients are greeted by an intake nurse who registers and assesses patients’ conditions before assigning them to the correct pods for treatment.
Advanced Emergency Care
The ER’s longstanding prowess in patient care is evidenced by its leadership positions in innovative health care initiatives, including cardiovascular services.
The ER and the Hospital’s Cardiac Catherization Lab have been recognized for their life-saving treatment times for heart attack patients who are in need of a balloon angioplasty to open a clogged artery. St. Clair consistently achieves the best treatment times for heart attack victims arriving at our ER, leading all Allegheny County hospitals and some of the most recognized hospitals in the United States.
For more information on Emergency Services, please call 412.942.2701.